Position title: Communications Officer
Organisation: Mo Ibrahim Foundation (MIF)
Location: London (hybrid working – 2 days remote per week)
Reporting to: Director of Operations
Hours: 09:30-17:30 GMT, Monday-Friday
Start date: ASAP
Salary: £30,000-£35,000 depending on experience
• The Communications Officer plays a key role in helping plan and deliver the Mo Ibrahim Foundation’s communications and managing its engagements with external audiences.
• This role sits between the Communications and Digital teams, with regular interaction with the Head of Digital and Digital Communications Lead. The Communications Officer works closely with MIF’s partners and external agencies, and reports to the Director of Operations.
• With responsibility for external communications content across media and digital channels, the role requires strong copy- writing and editing skills.
• Support the Director of Operations with the planning and delivery of the Foundation’s media and digital communications strategy and activities
• Work with the Director of Operations and the Foundation’s communications agency to develop communications campaigns for events and set-piece announcements
• Manage incoming media enquiries, providing recommendations on next steps and then overseeing these, working with MIF’s communications agency as required
• Support the production of press releases, opinion pieces and other media materials
• Manage the events calendar (covering e.g. African elections, international days) and make recommendations for MIF communications in relation to external events and announcements
• Manage content on the Foundation’s main website, including updating current pages and drafting copy for new sections
• Support the Head of Digital to prepare copy for MIF’s other websites as required
• Support the Digital Communications Lead in the production and distribution of regular MIF communications, including with partners, through the monthly e-newsletter and alumni news
• Support the Digital Communications Lead with drafting copy for the Foundation’s social media channels
• Help manage MIF’s Media Library, including editing images for the Foundation’s websites and social media channels
• Expand MIF’s understanding of the communications landscape in Africa by identifying and engaging new media outlets and digital platforms
• Work with the Now Generation Initiative (NGI) Manager to plan and manage the NGI’s external communications
• Lead the marketing of the Foundation’s Fellowships, including producing and placing advertisements, and producing content for the relevant parts of the website
• Support internal communications by keeping colleagues informed of the Communications Team’s activities and plans
• Maintain relationships with counterparts in the Foundation’s partner organisations to support information exchange
• Support the Events Officer with management of the Foundation’s CRM database
Qualification Required & Experience
• A genuine interest in the mission and values of the Mo Ibrahim Foundation
• Four or more years of relevant communications experience
• A demonstrated familiarity with development issues, with discussions and debates around governance, democracy, international affairs and policy
• Experience of supporting communications efforts around high profile events
• Experience with planning tools such as Airtable, publishing tools such as Hootsuite and Buffer as well as CRM and content management systems
• Familiarity with design tools such as Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign, as well as image banks
• Experience with high profile organisations and initiatives in Africa is desirable
• Knowledge of French, Portuguese, Arabic or African languages will be beneficial
How To Apply
Please send up to date CV and a brief covering statement outlining your interest in and suitability for the role to email@example.com with the job title in the subject line. Please note that we are only able to contact candidates selected for interviews.
Closing Date: 18 April 2022
Please note that flexible working hours and international travel may be required for this position. Candidates should have the right to work in the UK.