Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.
The Strategic Purchasing Africa Resource Center (SPARC) – a resource hub hosted by Amref Health Africa with technical support from Results for Development (R4D) – is aimed at strengthening strategic purchasing capacity in Sub-Saharan Africa by connecting existing regional knowledge and expertise and matching it with country demand to make better use of resources for health. SPARC is not just a resource center — it is a movement. SPARC is engaging individuals from stakeholder groups across sub-Saharan Africa to understand, talk about and advocate for strategic purchasing to make better use of limited resources for universal health coverage (UHC).
SPARC seeks a Technical Consultant with health economics and/or health financing expertise to provide technical support, contribute to project management and analytic activities to support LMICs to finance their health systems more sustainably. The consultant will regularly collaborate with team members, stakeholders and technical consortium partners. Examples of current and expected future initiatives & responsibilities include:
WHO – Cross-Programmatic Efficiency Analysis (CPEA)
- Lead implementation of the WHO/SPARC partnership in building Cross-Programmatic Efficiency Analysis (CPEA) capacity in Africa. In partnership with WHO, design and facilitate a regional workshop for African countries that have implemented the CPEA framework to share learning from implementation and identify policy actions
- Identify SPARC technical partners in countries where there is interest to implement the CPEA framework and design and conduct training in partnership with WHO
- Provide coaching support to technical partners in target countries to implement the CPEA framework, facilitate peer support and joint learning during implementation of the analysis and production of reports and policy briefs
- Facilitate regional learning among partners and policy makers based on the results of implementation of the CPEA framework in additional countries
- Support the development and adaptation of key findings and identify potential policy action
Technical Partnership Consortium: SPARC’s 11 technical partners have been working to increase the body of evidence on strategic health purchasing by identifying and reporting on areas where improvements to SHP functions have resulted in improved health outcomes and creating a series of outputs (reports, briefs, blogs etc.) based on this data for a wider audience. Responsibilities include:
- Support the technical consortium as they contribute to SPARC’s country engagements and execute in-country policy dialogue events
- Provide quality assurance reviews and feedback on technical partners’ outputs (briefs, blogs, policy papers, journal articles, etc.)
- Co-facilitate partners’ joint learning in a series of virtual convenings
- Support 10 technical partners as they write a series of joint topic briefs (5 total)
WHO Cross-Programmatic Efficiency Analysis (CPEA)
- One (1) virtual convening for at least 50 participants : May 2022
- Meeting report synthesizing virtual convening: Q3 2022
- Support to 3 country partners as they conduct CPEA within their health systems (including data collection, synthesis, paper writing, dissemination): May – December 2022
SHP Technical Consortium
- Support to 10 partners, including review and QA of 5 cross-country SHP briefs: March 2022
Period of Performance: The consultant will work on these activities for up to 5 days per month from January 2022 – December 2022.
Consideration for this consultancy will be given to health policy or international development professionals with 1) experience and expertise in health financing and/or health economics; 2) experience providing project management and technical assistance to BMGF, WHO or other donor-funded initiatives; and 3) the ability to meet rigorous timelines, track results, effectively manage multi-stakeholder relationships, and support decision-making at the national and sub-national level to create positive change.
- Successful candidates are likely to have the following qualifications:
- Advanced degree in health financing, health economics, public health, or a related field
- At least 10 years of experience with a Master’s, or 7+ years with a doctoral degree, working on health systems strengthening, health financing, or UHC reforms
- Strong skills in process facilitation and stakeholder management across diverse groups, including government and development partners
- Demonstrated experience designing and facilitating workshops, meetings, and trainings
- Demonstrated ability to translate complex technical analysis for policy and lay audiences
- Ability to set priorities and handle multiple competing time and resource demands; highly organized
- Full professional fluency in English, including excellent written and verbal communication skills, report writing and presentation skills. Additional language abilities also valuable.
Results for Development is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering and nurturing an energetic, collaborative and diverse workforce. R4D provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.
Method Of Application
To Apply for the position Click Here