SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy, and WASH to local contexts.
SNV has an annual turnover of €130 million, over 1,250 staff in more than 25 countries in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organization that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
SNV is aiming for structural change and scale in its programs in the agriculture, energy, and WASH sectors, as well as bringing knowledge and initiatives from different programs together at the country level to contribute to systems change.
SNV has gained a relevant track record in innovative financing through facilities like the Dutch Fund for Climate and Development (DFCD), the Innovations Against Poverty (IAP) fund, and other facilities (global, regional, and country-level) where SNV is involved in the provision of early-stage grants, results-based financing and technical assistance to catalyze private sector investment.
This is based on the urgent need for private-sector financial resources, know-how, and capabilities to complement public sector finance in achieving the Sustainable Development Goal (SDGs).
Engagement with the private sector towards development outcomes occurs in two major ways:
1) engaging, primarily companies around their business activities to facilitate delivery of economic, social, and environmental outcomes; and
2) mobilizing private capital for development purposes, to complement public financing.
Terms of Reference (ToR)
Recruitment of a professional event management company to organize GrEEn project events in Ashanti and Western Regions
Overview and Background
The Boosting Green Employment and Enterprise Opportunities in Ghana (GrEEn) project is a four-year project implemented in the Ashanti and Western regions of Ghana.
With the overall objective of contributing to addressing the root causes of irregular migration by supporting sustainable and climate-resilient local economies through the creation of green jobs and promoting green enterprise development in regions of departure, transit, and return for migrants, GrEEn is targeted at women, youth, returnees and Micro, Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (MSMEs).
Primarily funded by the European Union through its Emergency Trust Fund (EUTF) for Africa, GrEEn is being implemented by SNV Netherlands Development Organisation and the United Nations Capital Development Fund (UNCDF).
GrEEn focuses on three specific objectives:
- To support the transition of local economies to green and climate-resilient development.
- To improve the employability and entrepreneurship capabilities of selected people by matching them with market opportunities and mentoring into (self-)employment and enterprise development, with a focus on green and climate-resilient local economies.
- To create and strengthen local ecosystems that support youth (self-)employment and the growth of Micro, Small, and Medium-sized Enterprises (MSMEs).
Visit https://snv.org/project/green-boosting-green-employment-and-enterprise-opportunities-ghana for more information.
GrEEn project events and activities
As part of its project activities under results 4, GrEEn will organize various events such as investment fora, trade shows, GrEEn Innovation Challenge launch and award ceremonies, B2B engagements, and others in the Ashanti and Western Regions.
Some of the major planned events are below:
- Investment Fora:
The overall purpose of the GrEEn regional Investment Fora is to stimulate discussions around investment opportunities in the green and circular economy and encourage dialogue between different stakeholders with the aim of having workable solutions to the challenges that limit investments in the green and circular economy.
The investment fora also promote dialogue among investors, SMEs, and development partners with the aim of improving the framework for investments in the green and circular economy in Ghana. These are usually organized as 3-day events in Kumasi and Takoradi.
- B2B Engagement and Networking:
The purpose of this event is to create a platform for business networking and encourage linkages between actors that are already well established in a particular sector and upcoming business start-ups, to identify the opportunities and challenges in their respective sectors and ultimately expand their business operations. This is a one-day event in Accra, Kumasi, and Takoradi
- Trade Show:
These are trade opportunities for green SMEs to showcase their work and explore networking opportunities. The SMEs exhibit their products and services and explore how to improve their access to the market. The trade show is a 3-day event that will be held in Accra, Kumasi, and Takoradi.
- GrEEn Innovation Fund launch and award ceremonies:
The GrEEn Innovation Challenge awards are an innovative solution that promotes the green and circular economy. The launch event is used to announce the launch to stakeholders and outline the conditions for application. The award ceremony showcases the award winners who have successfully gone through the various stages of the challenge. In 2022, the launch will be regional ie Ashanti and Western regions, and the award ceremony held in Accra.
- Purpose of the assignment
The GrEEn project is in need of the services of an event manager or firm with proven experience in organizing corporate events.
The successful corporate event manager or firm will bear the responsibility of organizing and coordinating all logistics and publicity activities before, during, and after the assigned event as specified under the scope of work below, in close collaboration with the GrEEn team.
Scope of Work
The successful consultant will manage all the events as a turnkey project and will be responsible for all planning and execution activities of all the activities. Working closely with the GrEEn project team, the consultant will review the event concept note and make recommendations on the proposed format and implementation of the events to be held in Ashanti and Western regions.
The successful firm shall undertake the following tasks:
Pre-event management activities
- Participate in kick-off meeting with GrEEn team
- Review of all events’ concept notes
- Make recommendations on the format of any upcoming event to be held.
- Develop strategy and workplan with clear timelines, including media plans
- Discuss and agree with the GrEEn team regarding the appointment of subcontractors and service providers.
- Identifying and liaising with potential partners where necessary
Communication and visibility
- Work with the relevant media outlets to promote the visibility of the event. Recommended media channels include social media, radio announcements, radio interviews, and web banners. These will be in Accra, Ashanti, and the Western region.
- Ensure that all media channels used are relevant to GrEEn’s target audience and appropriate to the specific activities being undertaken.
- Design of publicity materials (e-flyers, social media posts, radio announcements, media info packs)
- Liaise with GrEEn communications and visibility advisor to ensure GrEEn, SNV, and EU branding guidelines are applied to all visibility materials.
- Establish the list of target participants with the GrEEn team
- Develop and manage the registration process for all participants.
- Send out invitations with the approved program details to all confirmed participants, including event moderators/facilitators, speakers, and panel members.
- Follow up on invitations with reminders and manage any inquiries.
- Ensure that all resource persons who will serve as keynote speakers, panel members, and facilitators/moderators have all the relevant information and are well prepared for their roles.
- Ensure that all venues to be used for events are appropriately set up on time for events
- Ensure that all technical support systems are secured and adequately tested prior to events.
- Ensure that all presentations from speakers are submitted on time and readily available for sharing.
- Ensure that the right technical setup is used to manage each activity.
- Coordinate the media coverage for the event.
- Coordinate conference and/or exhibition arrangements including refreshments for participants
Event management activities
- Ensure seamless execution of all event
- Ensure that all speakers, presenters, panel members, moderators/facilitators are available on time for events.
- Ensure that all IT equipment, audio-visuals/sound systems, internet connections, and power backups are secured and tested each day.
- Ensure that all presentations, audiovisual, etc are submitted on time and tested prior to the events
- Coordinate all GrEEn service providers/ vendors engaged in the events.
Post-event management activities
- Ensure that thank you and appreciation messages are sent to all participants
- Administer feedback questionnaire and solicit suggestions for improvements on future events.
- Document media coverage of the events if any.
- Compile post-event reports detailing the number and type of participants, what worked well and what did not, a summary of the feedback received from participants, recommendations for future events
- Hold a debrief meeting with the GrEEn team after every event completion
The assignment will begin in March 2022 and end by January 2023.
- An event/program outline and plan for each event
- List of confirmed participants – including speakers, moderators, entrepreneurs, investors, etc.
- Support the GrEEn team in scouting and selection of moderators, speakers, panellists, etc for each event
- Selection of appropriate event venues for the various activities
- A detailed media plan for increased visibility before, during, and after relevant events.
- To effectively facilitate, moderate and coordinate all the activities under each event to be held
- A post-event report detailing the number and type of participants, what worked well and what did not, a summary of the feedback received from participants, recommendations for future events.
Required Skills or Experience
- A proven experience of managing corporate seminars and summits for both online and in-person events (or blended).
- Experience in working with various media houses especially in the Greater Accra, Ashanti, and Western regions. An established relationship with these media houses will be a plus.
- A minimum of 3 years experience in managing corporate events including planning and coordination, as well as publicity and communications
HOW TO APPLY
Application and selection process
Proposals must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 23:59 GMT on 18th February 2022. Please include “GrEEn Event Manager” in the subject line.
All inquiries regarding this ToR must be submitted to email@example.com before 11th February. Please include “GrEEn Event Manager” in the subject line.
Applicants should submit separate technical and financial proposals, in Word, Excel, or pdf.
The technical proposal must include:
- Comments or suggestions on the Terms of Reference
- Description of the firm/ consultant’s experience in organizing corporate seminars/ fora. Links to videos or highlights of previous events should be included.
- Method/ approach to organizing the events. These must be briefly explained for each of the planned events
- A CV of the consultant and key team members detailing previous relevant experience
- A tentative work plan
- Testimonials from references from previous similar assignments (at least 3)
The financial proposal must cover the personnel costs for organizing the events. The contractor must also include a daily rate for any potential events not covered by this ToR.
SNV will score the received bids based on the technical offer (70%) and the financial offer (30%).
Technical proposals will be assessed using the following criteria and weights:
|Assessment Criteria||Weight (%)|
|Professional qualifications of the lead manager and team members||30|
|Experience in conducting similar assignments and testimonials from references
Timelines and estimated level of effort
Contract terms and conditions will be negotiated upon the selection of the winning bidder for this TOR. The contract may be extended for next year depending on the performance of the service provider.
The budget must cover the personnel cost for preparing and managing the various events including accommodation and travel. SNV will bear all other costs relating to the logistics, for participants and exhibitors, publicity, and other vendors for the event.
Value for money is important to SNV and will be considered when analyzing the proposals received.
Please refer to annex 1 for an overview of daily fee ranges as stipulated by SNV Ghana.
Firms or teams/consortia with strong proposals may be contacted for interviews before awarding the contract.
GrEEn/SNV reserves the right to
- Cancel this request for proposals at any time
- accept the whole or only part of any submission
- accept none of the proposals submitted and not issue any contract following this request for proposals
- republish this or an adapted request for proposals.
Indicative daily rates for short-term experts
The table below presents indicative ranges of fees for various categories and levels of technical experts, as stipulated by SNV Ghana:
|Years of relevant experience||Daily rate/fee|
|Junior expert||1 – 5 years||50 – 200||275 – 1,100|
|Regular expert||4 – 10 years||150 – 350||825 – 1,925|
|Senior expert||8 years and above||300 – 500||1,650 – 2,750|
Please note the following:
- “Relevant experience” refers to the experience required for the specific assignment that services are being sought for.
- Payment of national consultants and short-term experts will be made in Ghana Cedis.
- The fees indicated in the table above are net amounts.
- SNV will deduct any applicable taxes in accordance with Ghana’s tax laws from fees agreed in the contract.
- Fees in the table above are indicative. SNV Ghana will accept fees falling outside of the specified ranges in exceptional cases.