The Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany is seeking a qualified Political and Economic Affairs Officer for full-time employment / 40 hours per week with specific qualifications and experience in Ghanaian politics and/or the private sector in Ghana.
The expected starting date for this position is from April 1, 2022, negotiable. The contract of employment is based on Ghanaian law.
The focus of work will be on crosscutting issues between the Political and the Economic Sections of the Embassy, as well as on issues relating to Development Cooperation.
THE WORKING CONTEXT
The Political Section of the German Embassy engages in dialogue with the Ghanaian government, opposition, and all relevant sectors of Ghanaian society. It informs the German government about political developments in Ghana and maintains political contacts with Ghanaian institutions on all levels of government, legislature, judiciary, and civil society.
The Economic Section reports on the economic situation in Ghana, engages with the German and Ghanaian private sector, and contributes to the overall economic policy of Germany vis-à-vis Ghana. Germany is an important investor and trading partner for Ghana.
In order to foster the bilateral economic exchange, the Embassy cooperates closely with the Delegation of German Industry and Commerce in Ghana (AHK), the agency Germany Trade & Invest (GTAI), and the Ghanaian-German Economic Association (GGEA).
The Development Cooperation Section of the Embassy is coordinating the German development cooperation portfolio in Ghana. It follows the political developments in the focal areas of German cooperation, advises the German government on Ghanaian political priorities, coordinates with other development partners, and prepares high-level political talks between the two governments.
- Provide analysis on political, economic, and social developments in Ghana
- Develop and maintain close contact with government officials, development partners,
non-state actors and other relevant interlocutors
- Promote exchange and cooperation between Ghanaian and German business associations
and companies in Ghana together with the Head of the Economic Section of the Embassy
- Provide analysis and advice on the economic framework and business climate in Ghana,
inter alia through sustainable relations with relevant policymakers, regulatory bodies, and associations
- Support coordination of Germany’s existing programs together with Head and Deputy Head of Development Cooperation, including policy dialogue with key stakeholders.
- Master’s degree in Politics, Economics, or Development (or related field) with a strong focus on political analysis.
- Experience in public institutions, private business, or civil society organizations.
- Excellent knowledge of Ghana’s economic, political and social context.
- A broad base of working contacts in private and public institutions is desirable.
- Experience in development cooperation and knowledge of the International aid harmonization agenda is a plus.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English.
- German language skills would be an asset.
- Literacy in standard IT applications (MS Office, Internet, etc.) is required.
- Capacity to work in a team.
- Ability and willingness to handle a substantial workload and to assume tasks outside the core sphere of responsibilities.
- An attractive working environment in a motivated and highly professional team
- Remuneration commensurate to qualifications and experience (according to local conditions)
- Reimbursement of a high percentage of health costs
- Legal social security by SSNIT
- Training opportunities in Germany
HOW TO APPLY
Persons with necessary qualifications should apply with a:
- cover letter
- curriculum vitae
- birth certificate
- copy of passport or other ID documents
- certificates indicating results and academic degree
- proof of professional experience and previous employments
- letters of recommendation.
Please send your application preferably by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or else by mail to the
Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany
Head of Administration
Mrs. Andrea Grimm
P.O. Box GP 1757
CLOSING DATE: Not later than 14th February 2022