Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with governments, businesses, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing challenges.
Role: Market Study on Leaf Springs, Coil Springs & U-bolts in Ghana and ECOWAS Region
Project Overview And Role
The Jobs for Economic Transformation in Ghana (JET) Programme is funded by the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO). The programme is FCDO Ghana’s flagship investment-led job creation programme that will help Ghana transition away from aid dependence in line with the Government of Ghana’s (GoG) “Ghana beyond Aid” strategy. It seeks to leverage increased investments into the manufacturing and industrial sectors, and introduce new technology and management capabilities, increasing the capabilities of the workforce, generating formal employment and economic diversification.
The vision of the Government of Ghana (GoG) is to make Ghana the new manufacturing hub in Africa. In this regard, a Ten-Point Industrial Transformation Plan is being implemented by Ministry of Trade and Industry. The plan includes a comprehensive programme element for the development of automotive assembly and components manufacturing.
The GoG-FCDO JET Programme seeks to support GoG in the effective implementation of the Ghana Automotive Industry Development Programme and to facilitate investments into the automotive sector – as one of the strategic anchor industries – targeted to create new growth poles in the Ghanaian economy for significant job creation through integration into global supply chains and the development of local content suppliers.
Automotive Development Programme
Ghana’s well formulated Automotive Development Policy framework launched in 2019 has positioned the country as the new automobile manufacturing hub in Africa. The policy consists of comprehensive incentives and complementary support measures to attract Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) to invest in vehicle assembly and drive demand for component manufacturing by investors and local suppliers in Ghana while stimulating the development of regional value chains. One of the key objectives of this policy is to generate highly skilled jobs in automotive assembly and the manufacture of components and parts, with spill over effects into other sectors of the economy.
As a result of the policy, several OEMs and their contract assemblers have presented investment plans and received approval to establish assembly plants, with some having commenced commercial production.
Notwithstanding, the sustainable growth and development of the burgeoning automotive sector to attract anchor investments and create highly skilled employment in Ghana is hinged on the manufacture of automotive components locally.
Automotive Component Manufacturing
For this reason, GoG intends to support investors and local SMEs to develop a medium to large scale manufacture of automotive components for the Aftermarket (initially) and OEM assembly plants as the key to unlocking investments, boosting local content, and transitioning from current Semi Knocked Down (SKD) to Completely Knocked Down (CKD) in the shortest possible time.
Leaf Springs, Coil Springs and U-Bolts
As the sole manufacturer of Aftermarket Leaf Springs and U-Bolts in Ghana for light and heavy commercial vehicles, Springs and Bolts Co. Ltd. (SBCL), a local SME based in Kumasi, produces and markets leaf springs, U-Bolts and suspension systems to the domestic and West African markets under the Ghana Free Zone Authority and 1 District, 1 Factory (1D1F) programmes of the GoG.
Currently, SBCL has the ambition to scale production of leaf springs, U-Bolts and suspension systems by establishing a new automated plant to create highly skilled employment and meet the growing demand in the region (through import substitution).
Additionally, the company – in the medium to long term – seeks to expand production into the OEM category (developing capacity to manufacture coil springs) and has signed an MoU for technical assistance with an OE manufacturer of suspension systems.
Objective of Assignment
The objective of this assignment is to ascertain the market for leaf springs, coil springs and U-Bolts in Ghana and ECOWAS Region which will support the development of a business case to attract investments and secure funding while identifying new business opportunities within the ECOWAS Region.
Scope of Services
- Accordingly, The JET Programme Intends To Engage The Services Of An Expert(s) With Experience In The International Automotive Industry To Undertake The Following Tasks
- Assess the current market size for leaf springs, coil springs and U-Bolts in Ghana and key markets in ECOWAS, including countries of origin of products presently sold on the market.
- Estimate the market potential, trends and demand drivers for leaf springs, coil springs and U-Bolts within the ECOWAS region.
- Provide an overview of the competitive landscape in key West African markets, i.e., key market players, product portfolios and production volumes.
- Advise on the value chains that need to be developed/ enhanced in Ghana in order to achieve the ambition of scaling production and entering OEM segment.
- The key markets in ECOWAS should include Nigeria, Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger and Ivory Coast, apart from Ghana – where the study will be implemented.
- The report should be categorised into Passenger, Light Commercial and Heavy Commercial vehicle segments.
- Springs & Bolts Co. Ltd. will provide support in the form of additional questions, data and contacts where necessary to facilitate the completion of this assignment by the selected Expert (s).
Duration of Contract
The contract will be for a total duration of two (2) months.
At the end of the assignment, the Expert(s) shall submit the final research report to the Team Leader and Automotive Sector Lead – Ghana JET. Copies of research will be shared with SBCL.
The Consultant fees will be negotiated and payments made upon receipt and acceptance of the final research report.
Method of Assessment
Individuals/Consortium will be assessed based on their understanding of the subject matter, the quality of their proposal and their ability to provide a plan on how they intend to carry out tasks as stated within this ToR. Ideally, the proposal should be quoted in Britain Pound Sterling (GBP).
Qualification, Skills And Experience
- The Expert must have relevant qualification and a proven track record of work experience (10 years minimum) international automotive industry, especially in the components manufacturing industry or supply chain for Aftermarket.
- The Expert Should Also Demonstrate The Following
- Industry experience in working with OEMs in automotive component sourcing and procurement.
- Knowledge of the automotive market in Africa, specifically suspension systems.
- Experience in undertaking market research covering a wide geographical area.
- Experience in developing business cases for SMEs.
- Proficiency in IT skills and IT-based software.
- Effective Communication and Negotiation Skills.
How To Apply
To apply for this position, submit your application and CV: CLICK HERE TO APPLY
Closing Date: Ongoing
Should you require any adjustments or accommodations to be made due to a disability or you are a neurodivergent individual or any other circumstance, please email our team at email@example.com