DEPARTMENT: Academics and Education
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Librarian
REPORTS INDIRECTLY TO: Academic and Educational Head, Head of Institute
JOB PURPOSE: To support Librarian by assisting them
The librarian assistant shall assist the Librarian with the following roles:
• General management of the library and supervising library patrons.
• Assist with daily tasks of the library such as issuing library materials, checking out/in library materials, collecting late charges, and determining outstanding materials.
• Carry out classification and cataloguing of resources using the Library Management System.
• Assist learners to identify, locate and access the information they require
• Examine books for damage; repair or facilitate repairs when necessary.
• Perform appraisal and “weeding” of library materials at assigned periods
• Create an environment that is conducive for active and participatory learning using resource-based instructional practices.
• Oversee the management of the library in the absence of the Librarian
• Perform any other duties assigned from time to time
Qualification Required & Experience
• Bachelor of Arts/Education in Information Studies/Librarianship with two years’ experience in a similar role.
• Must have completed National Service
• Skills in IT will be an added advantage
• Excellent written and verbal communication
• Working knowledge of the Library of Congress Classification Scheme
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
• Working knowledge of office equipment and accurate keyboarding skills necessary to manage clerical and cataloguing duties.
How To Apply For This Job
All CV’s and applications letters are to be submitted electronically to: email@example.com
All applicants should clearly state the role they are applying for in the subject of the email and application letter.
Closing Date: 26 August, 2022