With over 100 years of rich history and strongly positioned as a local bank with regional and international expertise, a career with our family offers the opportunity to be part of this exciting growth journey, to reset our future and shape our destiny as a proudly African group.
Position: Credit Sanctioner
• Responsible for credit risk appraisal/assessment, mitigation and acceptance for SME portfolio.
• Responsible for providing quality credit risk management services to the SME portfolio and ensuring adherence to credit risk policy and procedures.
• Work in collaboration with the line manager in defining the portfolio triggers, lending framework, credit appetite and setting M&S limits or sector caps for SME Portfolio
• Manage the SME portfolio for quality whilst supporting growth initiatives from the business within a defined credit appetite.
• Support Line manager to identify the sources and drivers of stress, and default in the SME portfolio and implement measures to mitigate or remediate.
• Ensure quick Turn-around-time (TAT) and speed to market to ensure we do not lose preferred or desired clients or transactions that meet the Bank’s risk acceptance criteria and credit appetite.
• Work in collaboration with BBS &CR, Retail Credit and Retail Collections to ensure accurate risk classification and impairment measurement and reporting for the SME Portfolio.
• Provide support to the Credit Department and the relationship/coverage teams on credit issues as it relates to SME Portfolio and Absa MasterCard Foundation partnership
• Work in collaboration with Project Office for the Absa MasterCard Foundation partnership to ensure the project’s objectives are achieved.
Risk Management and Control 50%
- Responsibility for providing Management with analytical solutions/monitoring packs and MI to manage portfolios effectively and within policy.
- Manage SME customer credit risk and SME portfolio credit risk.
- Assess portfolio profitability, growth and risks on an ongoing basis
- Ensure Group reporting deadlines are adhered to
- Liaise, participate, co-ordinate and provide various inputs and responses, as required, on impairments, forecasting, MI and analytics to stakeholders
- Ensure loan bookings are within the agreed lending framework and lending rules and qualifying criteria and generate regular reports to track same.
- Ensure consistent and timely delivery of analytics support to minimize losses and maximize profits through Trend Analysis, Impairment Analysis, Account management analysis, Profitability analysis, Stress testing, Fraud analytics, Collections strategies and loss reduction strategies
- Identify opportunities to reduce loss and enhance revenue by developing improved lending criteria, building new lending rules or lending and collection strategies etc.
- Undertake a regular review of policy rules and lending criteria to understand the association with default.
- Identify new opportunities to drive process efficiency, improve operational efficiency and for enhancement, streamline services through the use of advanced analytics, automation and optimization.
- Use of statistical tools and techniques such as – forecasting, segmentation, predictive analytics, hypothesis testing etc.
- Ensure adherence to and compliance with governance, risk policies, procedures and regulatory compliance policies.
- Produce ad-hoc analysis reports on the specific credit-related issues – this may include detailed investigations into possible problem areas within the credit risk portfolio and making appropriate remedial action recommendations to the line manager.
- Maintain a lending policy dispensation and policy changelog.
- Actively manage and improve the portfolio quality.
- Produce regular monitoring reports on the portfolio with appropriate commentary for the line manager’s attention.
- Investigate and validate key impairment drivers e.g. EAD, PD and LGD.
- Other responsibilities may be assigned by the line manager.
Business Management 35%
- Timely production and submission of Group related MI templates e.g PQR.
- Review of Product or Portfolio Quality Report to identify key issues in the portfolio for the attention of line manager or head of the department.
- Communicate analytical results to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Develop data-driven credit risk strategies within the Credit Risk team.
- Monitor and manage Portfolio Triggers, Mandate & Scale and Risk Appetite within the agreed limit.
- Monitor and manage account conduct, loan repayment and portfolio performance for quality growth.
- Analysis of management Information with appropriate recommendations to the line manager or the Head of Credit
- Provide input into review and development of Portfolio modelling
- Accountability for Credit scorecard performance review.
- Agree and be responsible for all change initiatives in the portfolio
- Collaborate and engage stakeholders (e.g. Business, Retail Collections & Recoveries, Retail Credit Operations, Wholesale Credit Sanctioners, Wholesale Risk Control Unit, BBS & CR, Wholesale Risk MI etc.) to develop, implement and maintain credit risk strategies to optimally manage the performance of the portfolio.
- Design, implement and maintain strategies for appropriate remedial action on poorly performing accounts in the portfolio.
Staff Management 15%
- Own personal development process by ensuring that SMART objectives have been agreed upon with team leader
- Ensure that performance review feedback has been given to you and agree on remedial actions with the team leader where non-performance aspects have been defined
- Communicate career plans with team leader and ensure that proper training is provided
- Participate in team discussions such as knowledge sharing sessions, team building sessions.
- Participate in community and citizenship activities.
- Support colleague welfare
Knowledge, Skills, Expertise and Experience:
(Relating to specialist knowledge and expertise required to undertake the role).
An ideal candidate should have a combination of as many of the listed competencies and skills below:
- Good Credit Risk Management skills and experience within a central Risk Management Department.
- Good knowledge of key risk indicators for the SME.
- Good knowledge of Portfolio credit portfolio management best practices.
- Experience in Credit Lending decisions and risk mitigation measures.
- Experience and knowledge in credit risk analysis.
- Bank Product knowledge
- Experience and knowledge in key sectors of the economy
- Awareness of Basel II and IFRS9
- Knowledge of Governance & Compliance issues.
- Awareness of the legal issues, implications and consequences.
- Graduate calibre, numerical and analytical.
- Proficient in the use of PowerPoint and Excel.
- Expertise in the use of Excel macros*, VBA** and SQL+
- Qualification in mathematics, statistics, economics, computer science, the accounting will be an advantage but not a prerequisite.
- Good understanding of credit risk management principles.
- Knowledge of Wholesale Credit Risk Management framework, strategies, policies and processes.
- Knowledge of the Consumer Credit Risk systems and Lending strategies
- Knowledge of the Consumer Collection & Recovery processes, systems and strategies.
- Good people skills and good at managing stakeholder expectations and needs.
- Effective time management skills and meeting deadlines
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Well organised and Thorough
- Information Gathering and Good Troubleshooting skills
- Analytical with good Judgement
- Self-motivated with high integrity and innovative skills and able to take Initiative
Further Education and Training Certificate (FETC): Business, Commerce and Management Studies (Required)
How To Apply
To apply for this position, submit your CV and Application on Company Website: Click Here
Closing Date : 25th March. 2022