Oversee and be responsible for the implementation of all sustainable food systems (SO2) activities in the 4 regions of the Middle Belt: Ashanti, Bono, Bono East and the Eastern regions – with a focus on efficient production systems, post-harvest loss management, innovative market linkages, access to affordable financial services and support to community and medium scale food processors and aggregators
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Programme/DCD, the technical supervision of the Sustainable Food Systems Coordinator in Accra, the Programme Policy Officer – Sustainable Food Systems will be expected to perform the following duties:
• Support the Food Systems Coordinator in all efforts and activities to guide the implementation of WFP’s Smallholder Agriculture and Market Support (SAMS) programme in the 4 regions of the Middle Belt: Ashanti, Bono, Bono East and the Eastern regions. (May be called upon to serve in other regions)
• Support the Food Systems Coordinator in the management, implementation and reporting on the Strengthening Food Systems to Empower Smallholder Farmers and Young People project.
• Engage with stakeholders, explore, develop and/or maintain partnerships that support efficient and effective food systems programme implementation, monitoring, and reporting.
• Liaise with the regional departments of agriculture through the designated regional focal points for implementation, monitoring, and reporting; follow-up on monthly activity/project progress reports, review, consolidate and share with the Food Systems Coordinator and the Head of Programme/DCD.
• Facilitate capacity strengthening of Small Holder Farmers (SHF), Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs), aggregators, and other rural actors to participate in structured markets; through improved agricultural commodity quality standards and promote market linkages through e-commerce platforms and other end buyers.
• Collaborate with key government agencies like Ghana Standards Authority (GSA), Ghana Commodity Exchange (GCX), and other private sector agencies to facilitate acquisition of national certifications to support Farmer Based Organisations (FBOs) and other value chain actors to access digital platforms; and promote both traditional and digital marketing models.
• Ensure active participation of smallholder farmers including women and youths in organized value chains and structured markets to facilitate job creation for the youths.
• Facilitate and promote youth innovations that create efficiency in marketing for smallholder farmers e.g., e-commerce innovations, digital payments, transport, packaging, storage, and other logistical innovations.
• Support with the coordination, implementation and monitoring of Post-Harvest Management interventions and technologies among farmer-based organizations and aggregation systems.
• Support Smallholder Farmers and Communities’ Resilience building through crop insurance, training or other forms of assistance including Climate Smart and Nutrition-Sensitive Agricultural Initiatives.
• Liaison with the Food Technologist, and the Food Systems Coordinator, to provide technical support and coordinate efforts to strengthen food safety and quality management systems along the agricultural value chain.
• In coordination with the Food Systems Coordinator, and the Head of Programme/DCD, liaise with the Research Assessment and Monitoring (RAM) team to develop sound monitoring and evaluation plan for learning and accountability.
• Liaise with the Food Systems Coordinator to contribute towards the development of routine reports, Annual Performance Plan (APP), Annual Country Report (ACR) and other corporate requirements.
• In coordination with the Food Systems Coordinator actively participate in Resource mobilization activities including development of Food systems concepts and proposals aimed at raising funds from international donors and financial institutions.
• Perform any other duties as may be provided by Supervisors from time to time.
Qualification Required & Experience
• First degree in Agricultural sciences, Agricultural economics, Agribusiness, Development studies or other related fields.
• A master’s degree in any of the above fields is an added advantage
• In-depth technical knowledge on sustainable food systems, e-commerce/commodity exchange platforms, youth in agriculture, agriculture and nutrition value chain, programme co-ordination and projects implementation.
• A minimum of 3 years of post graduate professional progressive experience managing programmes related to sustainable food systems, agriculture and nutrition value chains or other related fields.
Language: Fluency in English language is essential. Knowledge of local languages spoken in Ghana will be an advantage.
How To Apply
Submit your CV and Application on Company Website: Click Here
Closing Date : 8th April. 2022