Proforest Africa is a non-profit organisation with a global presence. Our head office is in the UK with regional offices in Malaysia, Indonesia, Ghana, Columbia, and Brazil. Proforest has established itself as a leader in the development and implementation of sustainable production and sourcing of natural resources, including timber and a range of agricultural commodities (eg. palm oil, soy, cocoa, sugar etc), helping companies, governments, non-governmental and civil society organisations to achieve sustainable production and use of the world’s natural resources.
Proforest provides practical support to producers, processors, purchasers and investors to help them meet their sustainability commitments. We work at every stage of the supply chain, from production and processing, through to purchasing and investment. Our experience covers the management of forests, oil palm, soy, sugarcane, rubber, beef, coffee, shea and cotton at a range of scales that includes smallholders, communities and forest-dependent people through to multinational businesses.
Proforest is made up of a non-profit (charitable) arm which focuses on long-term support for small producers and wider capacity building, particularly in developing countries and a consultancy arm which provides direct support and services to the private sector companies.
Proforest’s programmes create the enabling environment and build the capacity required for the private sector, working with governments and civil society, to deliver agriculture and forest commodities sustainably at scale. Large-scale impact can only be achieved if localised efforts to improve agricultural and forestry practices are supported by wider changes needed to make sustainable practices the norm.
Our programmes support this broader transformational change. We build the enabling environment and address key barriers to better practices among the private sector, governments and civil society. We foster awareness of the issues, build capacity and promote local leadership of sustainability initiatives. A critical component of our work is the facilitation of collaboration. This includes multistakeholder initiatives (MSI), sector and company collaborations, and collaboration in specific landscapes and jurisdictions
Proforest Africa Office in Ghana is seeking an experienced agriculture, natural resource or GIS practitioner to join our growing team based in Accra, Ghana and to deliver services within the Africa region.
Proforest Consultancy Services
Proforest has provided consultancy services to help companies meet their environmental and social commitments – from zero deforestation to protecting workers’ rights – for over 20 years. Our consultancy services provide practical support to producers, processors, purchasers and investors to help them work in environmentally and socially responsible ways. As demand for sustainably sourced commodities increases, producers, processors, purchasers and investors in natural resources all need to demonstrate that they are meeting commitments to environmental and social responsibilities. This is a complex task in a challenging commercial environment. We work at every stage of the supply chain, from production and processing, through to purchasing and investment.
This position is an exciting opportunity to join the Proforest team and develop your skills and experience, working closely with senior project and programme managers to support implementation of our consultancy projects. As you gain experience demonstrate competence you will be able to take an ever-increasing role with the potential to become a more senior member of the international team over time. This will be supported by our internal development programme which provides a combination of formal training courses and supervised field experience. You will be based out of our Regional Office in Accra but the role includes undertaking a broad range of work and involves international travel, including to remote locations in Africa. The work will include the facilitation of standards setting processes, advising clients on responsible supply chain management and procurement policies, field assessment of companies operations against sustainability requirements for commodities such as palm oil and sugar, supporting companies to implement sustainability standards requirements preparation of technical guidance and outreach materials and training. There is a mixture of desk-based work on analysis, administration, proposal and report writing and field work.
The main responsibilities include:
- Lead in the delivery of projects (consultancy services for clients) and support in the delivery of other projects. This may include proposal writing, project inception, budgeting and reporting
- Contribute to Proforest’s leadership on development and implementation of policies on sustainable natural resources management, through sustainability standards and certification schemes in Africa
- Maintain a clear understanding of the current policy and framework direction relating to the responsible production and sourcing of forest products and agricultural commodities in Africa
- Occasional work as required on other related projects especially in relation to sustainability standards and certification schemes, training and capacity building
- Contribute to the broader functioning of the Proforest’s team, including support for the planning and delivery of other services.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
The position holder will carry out other tasks that may be assigned by the Proforest Director or his/her representative as may be required.
Other responsibilities associated with this will include the following:
- Where required, represent Proforest in relevant regional, sub-regional, international and other meetings and forums on natural resources governance and management
- Remain abreast with natural resources and agricultural commodities production and their related issues in the Africa region.
- Provide inputs and contribute to the Proforest regional-wide programme development for sustainable forestry and agricultural commodities production in Africa
Annual salary of GHC72,000 to GHC90,000 depending on qualification and experience
How To Apply
Send your CV, confirmation that you are eligible to work and be based in Ghana and your salary history and cover letter, no longer than two pages to Africa@proforest.net
- Application Deadline: Monday 31st January 2022
- Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by Monday 7th February 2022
- Proforest is an equal opportunity employer.