The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking to recruit a dynamic and experienced Research Officer-Agronomist to assure the successful implementation of the agricultural component of the Generating Revenues & Opportunities for Women to Improve Nutrition in Ghana (GROWING) project, especially the seed system for orange-fleshed sweetpotato, and the proper management of all selected crops from planting through storage.
The Position: This position will be hosted by the International Water Management Institute in Ghana, on behalf of the International Potato Center. The selected candidate will be based in Tamale, Ghana and will report to the Project and Marketing Manager.
- Coordinate the identification and training of sweetpotato multipliers.
- Set up quality control procedures for purchased seed and planting material of other target crops
- Liaise with Ghanaian research institutes for the provision of quality pre-basic sweetpotato seed.
- Design and implement training programs on management of selected crops.
- Design and train farmer club members on harvest and post-harvest technologies.
- Collect and analyze varietal selection and agronomic trial data using digital tools for timely collection and appropriate statistical software for analysis.
- Assist farmers and seed producers to use digital tools to establish effective communication with market outlets and input providers.
- Write relevant sections of donor reports and contribute to journal articles.
- Master’s degree in breeding, agronomy, horticulture, seed technology, plant science, agricultural engineering or other relevant agriculture discipline.
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant experience in managing a seed system, preferably in sweetpotato
- Strong competencies in both quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis techniques.
- Training experience, in particular experiential learning with adults preferred.
- Knowledge of inspection systems for seed
- Ability to set up and conduct agronomic trials and analyze quantitative trial data
- Ability to communicate and train extension personnel and farmers.
- Advanced skill in using Excel
- Excellent interpersonal relationships skills and teamwork orientation
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English.
- Experience with digital tools for data collection
- Knowledge of developing business plans for commercial farms
- Knowledge of a statistical package, preferably STATA
- Knowledge of a local language used in Northern Ghana
Why should you consider this opportunity?
- CIP is a global and reputable international organization that has a strong, state-of-the-art R&D background.
- CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved nutrition and well-being, and gender equality for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world.
- CIP is a member of the CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
What are we offering?
- Compensation package commensurate with experience.
- On-the-job learning opportunities with senior scientists
This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position limited to Ghana nationals and permanent residents only. The contract will be for an initial period of (03) three years (with a 6-month probation period). Renewal is dependent on performance and availability of funds.
Work in diverse workplace committed to gender equality.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position, submit your CV and Application on Company Website: Click Here
Closing Date : 28th Feb. 2022