IPA Ghana is seeking a Senior Advisor in the Right-Fit Evidence Unit (Sr. Advisor, RFE) to collaborate closely with the Ministry of National Education (MoE) in Ghana to strengthen its capacity to use evidence to improve its programs and policies. IPA Ghana is working with MoE to set up an “Ed Lab” to enable government partners at both the national and district levels to use data and rigorous research to design, test, and scale evidence-based programs and policies to improve learning for students.
The Sr. Advisor will be embedded within the hosting unit and will lead all MEL related support for the Ed Lab, from co-creating MEL frameworks with key stakeholders, designing and conducting capacity building activities for MoE personnel through various formats (i.e. in-person, virtual engagements), to managing research activities (e.g. RCTs, pilots, and nimble experiments).
IPA Ghana particularly encourage Ghanaian nationals to apply, although the role is open to international applicants. We also encourage those with the following profiles to apply as these skills and interests are a particularly strong fit:
- Management consultants with some international development experience who would be excited in a career shift to an entrepreneurial and impact-focused environment leveraging their skillset
- M&E practitioners who are interested in broadening their scope and impact on the field by advising organizations on state-of-the-art M&E practices
- Research professionals in international development who enjoy working closely with practitioners and are interested in broadening their scope to all the types of data and evidence that can inform decisions
Irrespective of their background, RFE staff tend to learn through their work, and this position is a great fit for anyone with a growth-oriented mindset.
Provide strategic and technical advisory expertise: target credible, actionable, and cost-effective advice on MEL systems to build a culture of evidence-based decision-making within MoE, including but not limited to the following examples:
- Map the data needs of various directorates within the Ministry against the existing data available, complemented with an assessment of its quality
- Assess existing datasets and indicators according to criteria of relevance, objectivity, and reliability
- Design prototyping and pilot exercises to answer key learning questions
- Identify opportunities to test low cost “nudges” to improve service delivery
- Develop and execute opportunities to leverage administrative data for analysis to inform key MoE programs and decisions
- Develop and execute “learning-by-doing” capacity building projects with MoE counterparts
- Advise MoE directorates on developing and maintaining MEL plans
- Provide guidance to MoE directorates’ ongoing monitoring activities, including by recommending implementation quality indicators and data sources
Project management: Support work planning and project management for the MEL technical assistance to ensure effective and timely implementation of our work
Stakeholder communication: Maintain strong communication and partnership with key stakeholders, including direct stakeholder management with leadership staff from partner organizations and MoE
Workshop design and implementation: Design and facilitate various kinds of external MEL- and research-related workshops, improving the capacity and ownership of government around long-term MEL and research practices
Professional deliverables: Own the preparation and presentation of various types of advisory and analytical deliverables, maintaining the highest standards of communication efficiency
- A Bachelor’s or Master´s degree in economics, public policy, international development, or related fields and; PhDs are also welcome.
- 2-5 years of relevant work experience, including experience in M&E (public sector), organizational performance/R&D/operational research (private sector), or experience in management consulting/other professional services. Exceptions may be made for excellent candidates who do not meet this criterion.
- Superior analytical and conceptual thinking skills
- Strong client-facing and presentation skills. Ability to present information in a structured and insightful way, both in writing and orally.
- Demonstrated ability to manage relationships with partner organizations;
- Self-starter, entrepreneurial mindset, versatility, and ability to learn at a fast pace.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills; attention to detail;
- Familiarity with statistics and data analysis (including strong command of Excel)
- Willingness to travel within Ghana;
- Capability to manage multiple tasks efficiently;
- Passion for making data-driven decisions a reality in the international development sector
Method of Application
Closing Date : 10th Feb. 2022