Mennonite Economic Development Associates (MEDA) invites applications for a Small Business & Financial Services Officer to join our dedicated and talented team in Ghana on our mission to create business solutions to poverty!
MEDA’s work is built on a foundation of Mennonite business roots and faith-based values, within the global context of the UN Sustainable Development Goals. We believe business solutions are effective interventions to address poverty. Through a market-systems approach and strategic partnerships, MEDA enables access to finance and provides business and technical expertise to build transformative agri-food market systems that create decent jobs, allowing traditionally excluded groups to become active participants in a sustainable economy. MEDA welcomes all who share our values and want to join us in our mission. To find out more about MEDA, please visit our website at www.meda.org.
Global Affairs Canada has provided funding support to MEDA for the Greater Rural Opportunities for Women 2 (GROW2) project. The GROW2 project is women-focused, driven by a strong market system approach, and fully integrates Gender Equality, Social Inclusion, Environmental Sustainability, Human Rights, Nutrition, and Innovation in its implementation. The project will increase the economic and social empowerment of women farmers, entrepreneurs, and agribusinesses in the Northern, Upper West, and Savannah Regions of Ghana through increased productivity, and an improved business environment.
The role of the Small Business & Financial Services Officer is to support the implementation of market systems and business and financial management strategies to support the overall GROW2 project’s goal of increasing the economic and social empowerment of Women smallholder farmers (WSHFs), entrepreneurs, and agribusinesses in Northern Ghana. The role holder will support the project in incorporating business-based approaches including financial services to project implementation. (S)he will lead in the implementation of savings and loans group development within the project.
The Officer will work closely with Key Facilitating Partners (KFPs), businesses, aggregators, and other entities to implement savings and loans among (WSHFs), and viable and profitable business interventions in the GROW2 operational areas. Reporting to the Senior Small Business & Financial Services Officer, the role holder will also work with MEDA’s headquarters-based Technical Experts. This position will involve frequent travel to project locations within the Northern, Savannah, and Upper West Regions.
- Job Status: Full-time Contract
- Anticipated Start Date: July 2022
- Location: Tamale, Ghana
- Identify and assess the financing needs of the project’s target clients, working closely with KFPs on the field implementation of GROW2 activities.
- With technical support from the Senior Small Business & Financial Services Officer; identify, screen, and build relationships with local organizations (microfinance institutions, banks, credit unions, and other potential partners) to develop and expand appropriate financial products and delivery models to meet the needs of project clients and project goals
- Work closely with Senior Small Business & Financial Services Officer to implement savings and loans activities including formation of new groups, strengthening, and linkage to financial institutions.
- Develop strong relationships with women-led small businesses, entrepreneurs, and agribusinesses, identify opportunities for business growth and upscaling, and contribute to the preparation of investment proposals and plans as necessary.
- Assess, develop, and facilitate the implementation of a capacity-building plan for entrepreneurs, agribusinesses, and the local partners to ensure scale, accountability, and reporting systems serve the project goals.
- Work closely with KFPs on-field implementation of GROW2 activities for impact
- Work closely with the project team to increase the ability of the targeted value chain participants (Women Smallholder Farmers, input suppliers, SME Intermediates, and traders where applicable) to access appropriate financial services through partner and non-partner financial institutions (FI)
- Work closely with other officers to regularly organize workshops and learning events at the Regional and District levels in the GROW2 zone of influence.
- Participate and support the field team in reporting, documenting lessons learned, contributing to value chain finance industry development, and providing all other necessary inputs to ensure the project’s success.
Documentation and Reporting:
- Provide inputs into annual work plans and reporting activities, including MEDA engagement with clients such as businesses, input and seed dealers, aggregators, processors, and off-takers.
- Identify and disseminate best practice examples of business-related innovations and work practices within the project clients
- Contribute to the development of tools and indicators for monitoring and evaluation.
Any other duties and/or requirements as assigned
Education: Degree in business sciences preferably in business administration, economics, including business analysis and development and/or feasibility studies, or other relevant disciplines such as development studies, agriculture, international business
Experience: A minimum of three years’ experience working on access to finance for women smallholder farmers including savings and loans, agriculture, private sector, micro small, and medium enterprises (MSMEs) business development, value chain development
- Appreciation and support of MEDA’s faith, vision, and values
- Understanding and appreciation of business principles, international development and MEDA’s approach of creating business solutions to poverty
- Strong grants management, financial and audit experience
- Knowledge of Global Affairs Canada regulations, systems, and procedures an asset
- Knowledge of financial systems software, computer skills in Excel, Word, etc.
- Fluency in English a must
- Fluency in local language within zone of operations a plus
How To Apply
Interested persons should send in their applications on the companies website: Click Here To Apply
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Monday, June 6, 2022 5:00pm GMT.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis when received. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications and organizational needs.
Only successful applicants will be contacted.
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
MEDA is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to creating an inclusive and diverse environment of mutual respect. Reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities are available during all phases of the recruitment process. We ask that any applicants requiring such accommodation make their needs known in advance.